Open Box Buddyrider
OPEN BOX ITEM - Please expect this item to have a few scratches and/or scuffs.
Please allow 2 business days before this item ships so we can re-box and check for all parts.
Occasionally a customer needs to return a Buddyrider due to it not fitting their bike or their dog not being a good fit. The Buddyrider units on this page were returned to us in good condition with all parts. They may have minor scratches or scuffs, but are in perfect working condition and have been thoroughly cleaned. If you would like to be emailed pictures of the exact unit before making a decision, just email us at email@example.com.
All units will be re-boxed for safe transit and come with FREE SHIPPING. Enjoy a discounted rate for the popular Buddyrider bike seat. If you are looking for a gently used Buddy Rider for sale, this is the perfect option to save money while still getting an excellent quality item. Our open box items come with the same 100% Satisfaction Guarantee & Warranty Check out our complete Buddyrider section for all options and accessories HERE
Buddyrider™ Bike Seat Overview
The Buddyrider™ dog bicycle seat is a fun way to safely take your dog along with you on bike rides. Unlike other bicycle dog carriers and front or rear mounted dog bike baskets, the Buddyrider™ is mounted over the center of the bike so the extra weight has virtually no effect on handling. This is the sturdiest and most stable dog bike seat we have tested. For larger breeds a dog bike trailer or dog bike leash is ideal, but for smaller dogs weighing up to 25 pounds, there is no better alternative than the Buddyrider™. We even offer a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee & Warranty
Does The Buddyrider™ dog bike seat come with everything I need?Yes. The package includes:
- The Receiver (This mounts Buddyrider™ to your seatpost)
- The Buddyrider Support Bar
- The Buddyrider Plastic Seat Assembly
- The four point harness to keep you dog in the Buddyrider™
- If you want to use the BuddyRider with more than one bike, you will need a second receiver
- If your dog is smaller than 12 lbs or less, you have the option of ordering a booster cushion. For the really little guys you may also choose to use your dog's own secure harness.
Will the Buddyrider™ work with my bike?In most cases the answer is Yes. Check out this handy guide to double-check and make sure that installation will be a breeze.
Will my dog fit in the Buddyrider™?The Buddyrider™ was originally designed for the inventor's 23 pound Parsons Russell Terrier and made with as much flexibility in mind as possible. Obviously some dogs fit better than others, but the dog bicycle seat should fit dogs from 5 to 25 lbs. The following guide goes into a little more detail and discusses different breeds. The information in the guide is by no means 100% accurate in every case, but will hopefully make your decision a little easier when considering size.
Buddyrider™ Harness Adjustment
Manufacturer Safety Message If you choose to purchase and install the Buddyrider pet seat, please understand the risks involved in cycling. Cycling can be inherently dangerous, especially when carrying passengers or cargo of any kind. You must wear protective gear at all times (helmet and gloves etc). The owners, directors, employees, and or any other representatives of the Buddyrider will not be held responsible for damage caused or injury sustained through the use of the Buddyrider pet seat. Further more you assume all risks associated with the fitting and use of the Buddyrider pet seat. Your pet must be secured in the seat at all times using the safety harness provided. Please carefully review the Installation and Instructions tab toward the top of the page. Now go have FUN!
Buddyrider Safety and Installation Instructions
Read instructions carefully before placing a pet the Buddyrider dog bike seat. Failure to follow these instructions could result in serious injury. By attaching the Buddyrider pet seat to a bicycle you are acknowledging that you have read and understand the warnings and instructions, and understand the inherent dangers that may be associated with transporting a pet on a bicycle. Only experienced adult cyclists, who are very confident in their abilities as a rider should transport a pet using this seat. Watch this video for a step by step overview of how to install (Coming Soon)
Buddyrider Installation Instructions
1. Assemble the Buddyrider dog bike seat by raising the front platform and securing the center support arm with one of the supplied screws and a washer. (See Fig 1. above)
2. Attach the metal bar to your bicycle seat post. There must be at least 1ž inches of post exposed below the seat to make this connection. Keep this connection as high up the seat post as possible. This will give the rider more legroom when peddling.
3. Position the Buddyrider pet seat on the metal bar as far forward as possible without causing any interference with the steering post or handle bars of the bicycle.
4. Make a small pencil mark on the metal bar right behind the dog bike seat.
5. Remove the pet seat and also the metal bar using the quick release pin.
6. Position the Buddyrider seat on the metal bar in the same position as it was while on the bicycle and turn both of them upside down. Slide the pet seat along the metal bar as if to cover the pencil mark until four of the drill holes simultaneously line up with the screw sockets on the bottom of the pet seat.
7. Using four of the screws and washers provided, mount the pet seat to the metal bar. Make sure all four screws are in position before tightening. Steps 1 through 7 should never need to be re-done unless the pet seat is mounted on a different size bicycle, in which case the four screws may have to be re-located in different holes to adjust the length.
8. Install the assembled pet seat to the bicycle using the quick release pin and be sure to secure that with the cotter pin provided or a small pad lock.
Safety Harness - Install and connect as shown
Your dog must be secured in the seat at all times using the safety harness provided.
Buddyrider™ Harness Adjustment
1. Place your dog in the Buddyrider seat in a sitting position as far back in the seat as possible.
2. Connect and position the rear buckle over your pet's shoulders and adjust the rear straps equally.
3. Position the collar strap around your pet's neck so it is just below your dog's own collar. Connect the front buckle and adjust the collar strap to size.
4. When your dog is in the sitting position with their front legs along the upper platform or straight down, adjust the front straps equally so your pet is restrained from standing. Just like a seat belt on a child car seat, the Buddyrider harness is designed to limit unnecessary movement so your pet remains in a safe position to enjoy the ride.
- Prior to using, check that the dog bike seat is secure to the bicycle and no parts are cracked, loose, missing, or broken.
- Due to the size and weight associated with transporting a dog on a bicycle, extreme care must be taken at all times. The rider may be required to make quick corrective action when the pet moves its weight.
- Care should be taken when placing your dog into the seat, and also when removing them. This should be done in a safe place away from distractions such as other pets and traffic.
- Initial rides should be brief, over smooth ground, in a safe location and away from all distractions.
- Increase the duration only when both rider and dog become accustomed and confidant using the Buddyrider.
- Never leave a dog unattended in this bicycle seat. Due to the higher center of gravity, a bicycle may fall over if parked on its stand or without proper support.
- Do not allow your dog to become a distraction when riding. Keep your focus on the safe operation of your bicycle, the rules of the road, the environment around you and other cyclists, pedestrians and vehicular traffic.